Slider

Shibuya, Tokyo, Japan

Tokyo Personal Diary | Day 3 : Visiting NALU Hair Salon (Number 76) In Omotesando, Harajuku, Shibuya & Tokyo Tower

Saturday 21 October 2017


Hey lovely crepes!

One of the most productive days that I had while visiting Tokyo within the whole of that Golden Week was on the third day, because I visited one of my favourite places listed on my forever wishlist! I did not come with anyone and was trying to explore these districts alone and it was very exciting.

*Golden Week (ゴールデンウィーク; Goruden Wiku or Goruden Uiku) (or GW) is a week from the 29th of April to early May containing a number of Japanese holidays.


DAY 3


In front of Tokyo Plaza, Omotesando. Humans flocking in and out from all over directions.

Talking about exploring this whole big area, I had no idea from where to actually start. Shibuya and Omotesando are neighboring areas to one another. Harajuku is located just around 600 meters, less than 1 KM walk from Omotesando Station towards the Northwest direction. Given that, Aoyama is just around 400 meters Southeast from Omotesando. I skipped Aoyama that day (nevermind, another strong reason to come back again later) since I was rushing for my appointment for Nalu Hair Salon in Omotesando.

I dropped at the Shibuya Station although Omotesando Station can be a lot more hassle free since it was the most easiest access from Takenotsuka using Tobu line which only needs one interchange from Oshiage Station transferring to Hanzomon line.


OMOTESANDO


Walking in Omotesando in the ultimate quest of finding that Nalu hair Salon which is not available on Google Maps.

The trendsetting trio of Harajuku, Aoyama and Shibuya showcase contemporary Japanese fashion, style and architecture. Consumer culture reigns supreme in these streets, which are packed with smart cafes, designer boutiques and hip young spenders. Youthful and creative, Harajuku and Shibuya both cater to the funky, adventurous fashionista, while those with gilt-edged credit cards will feel more at home among the antique shops of Aoyama and the big brand boutiques along Omotesando, the area's key tree-lined boulevard, often referred to as Tokyo's Champs-Elysées.

Kōhī (Coffee in Japanese) to start the day! This is my favourite coffee. Back in Malaysia this is only so far available in Shojikiya but this can be seen everywhere from beverage vending machines here.

I went home so late last night and only able to sleep around 4-5 AM in the morning, thus I definitely need the aid from caffeine to give me an ability to stay focus (as usual). Still, I had no idea why I got lost for around 3 hours again trying to find that Salon. Set my appointment at 12 PM. I only arrived later than that around 3 PM. Felt so guilty and bad, but it really can't be helped. I can't find the location on Google Maps. Asking around didn't make much changes, a lot of people around even the shop owners themselves had no idea where is this Nalu Hair Salon provided it's just one of those hundreds of the other hair salons around that large 'Elysian' area. Must thank the effort of this one Number 76 staff in which I have always been keeping in touch with coz she provided me with a lot of info for the directions and gave me some directory maps down to the location. Can't lie it was one of the most tiresome and exhausting days that my legs got cramps afterwards from walking too much.

So remember, no heels as a tourist because you'll never know when fate decided to throw you out of your way for hours long before getting onto the right track again.

The alley I walked through while finding the salon.

The same alley I've been passing by back and forth earlier without realising that this is almost getting there.
This is going to be a lesson to start remembering whatever you see around so you won't ever get lost again.

3 hours of walking, asking and hoping. Finally I found the way, really need to send my gratitude to Sue, Number 76's staff I've been interacted with since I've started becoming a regular visitor to Number 76 Hair Salon in Publika, Malaysia. She helped me a lot for hours long while I tried to find this lovely, small and a bit hidden Salon in Omotesando.

If you haven't read about my last post talking about this lovely Hair Salon directly flown from Tokyo to Malaysia with few other branches opened up in Kuala Lumpur and even Singapore with top notch hair services you can go to these links below to find out more about them :

[Review] Number 76 Hair Salon Publika : KÉRASTASE Hair & Scalp Treatment (ヘアトリートメント)
Ash Green Hair With Pink Highlights By Number 76 Salon


A random lovely boutique located just next to the Nalu Hair Salon.

I was showered in excitements the moment I reached there, I've always wanted to try doing some hair services here at least once. Thanks Number 76 for a year of numerous great hair services in the past few years and for the courtesy of letting me try out a hair treatment at the Tokyo branch!


76 CAFE & NALU HAIR SALON


76 Cafe, upstairs is a Nalu Hair Salon, the Tokyo branch owed by the Number 76 Hair Salon.

The Nalu hair salon is upstairs, after you've done with the hair services you can just chill at the 76 Cafe downstairs. I really love the environment inside the cafe, it looked antique, and a bit of reserved ambiance.

76 Cafe with their menu in front of the door.

Walking upstairs to their Hair Salon.

Despite of being super late, Ijima-san and his assistant hairstylist still greeted me warmly and instantly tended to me. I faced some language barrier once again with both of them but they were definitely such a lovely and friendly people. I could speak and converse in Japanese just that it is not really that fluent, Osawa-san asked me where did I learned some Japanese (in nihongo) and I said from my University. He was very quiet at first, only after I asked him his name and few other questions he seemed to be delighted that I could talk even a lil bit in Japanese and we had a good conversation although there were times we struggled into understanding each others.

It was a lot more smaller that I expected, I think their branches in Malaysia are a lot more spacious. However the atmosphere and interior were still swanky.

Me waiting my hair while it's being prepped.

I did their signature ultrasonic hair treatment again, haven't washed my hair since I touched down in Tokyo because of the cold weather, it made me into quite of a goat. I did had a shower at least twice a day but i didn't have the courage to wash my hair, they sure do have the water heater but I still don't like how the wet hair feels like after going out from the bathroom, even if they do have the hair dryer as well (I despise even a lil bit of coldness). It felt so good to let your hair being washed and dried at once, my head felt a lot more lighter and it smelled great! Again, this is indeed one of the best hair salons to treat your crowning glory. Thanks to both Ijima-san and Osawa-san for the great service! You can visit the Ijima-san's Instagram to see his awesome work on numerous of hair he's touched on his Instagram page here.

The hair services and their prices.

If you guys perhaps are keen to try out their hair services or to give a visit, you can make a booking prior through their website and be sure to check out their Instagram pages to find out about their latest services and promotional period or other discounts.


Below are the rest of the view of Omotesando before I made my way towards Harajuku.

Another small but inviting nail salon that I found while walking out from Omotesando.

I love how these salons displayed the services they run together with the prices on the board, written so clearly next to their premises.

One of the centre of attractions in Omotesando, the wall of graffiti where all the young hipster teenagers and fashionistas flash some poses for pictures around in the middle of the empty road (no cars passing by and using the road in these shopping junctions).

Omotesando is indeed a district of shopping paradise. You can find almost any iconic and famous Japanese fashion brands here like 6% Dokidoki, Issey Miyake and many more to list.

This random Jingu Garden flower shop reminds me a lot of Shirayuki from Akagami no Shirayukihime
I'm not sorry if i sound geeky, i used to be a 'NEET'


HARAJUKU


Crammed with places to eat, drink and shop, the Harajuku area is bisected by Omotesando (表参道), an elegant, ginkgo-tree-lined boulevard shich leads from the main entrance to Meiji-Jingu to the cluster of contemporary designer boutiques on the other side of Aoyama-dori. On either side are dense networks of streets, packed with funky lilttle boutiques, restaurants and bars.

* "Dori" means Street in Japanese.

I came from the other side from Omotesando, so instead of entrance, this is the other end of Takeshita-dori (connected to Meiji-dori)

The hungry mouth of the Takeshita-dori (竹下通り) shopping alley gobbles up teenage fashion victims as they swarm out of the north exit of Harajuku Station, and spits them out the other end on Meiji-dori, minus their cash. Selling every kind of tat imaginable, the shops here are hugely enjoyable to root around in and provide an intriguing window on Japanese teen fashions.

At weekends, the crush of bodies on Takeshita-dori is akin to that on the Yamanote line at rush hour. To escape, duck into nearby Togo-jinja (東郷神社 Togo Shrine), a relatively peaceful shrine dedicated to Admiral Togo Heihachiro, who led the victorious Japanese fleet against Russians in the Russo-Japanese war of 1904-1905.

Entering the Takeshita-dori from Meiji-dori (Takeshita-dori's exit)

Saw a crepe shop, need to instantly drop by and buyyy

So many toppings to choose from!

For a crepe that is full of whipped cream and topping rich, this is very affordable!

Berries and love!

I really lost count to how many crepe shops I saw along the Takeshita-dori. If you're coming to Harajuku, acquiring the taste of Harajuku's crepes is a must I tell you!

Look! Liz Lisa store building!

If you love vintage fashion with a frilly and princessy look, Liz Lisa is definitely for you. Back then it was a lot more harder to shop for Japanese clothing brands in Malaysia, but now Liz Lisa and some other Japanese clothing brands like KOKOkim (by Kimura U) are available in Isetan The Garden in Kuala Lumpur, they were all brought in here thanks to Japacolle!

One of the store that stands out the most in Takeshita. Most of these clothing or accessory shops sell the most trendiest and funky fashions marketed to the young and edgy generation.

Aimerfeel, one of the most outstanding brands for ladies undergarments and lingeries, back then i always saw the articles about them in iFeel Magazine in Malaysia. There is one Aimerfeel store in Malaysia located in Petaling Jaya, you can check them out later if you like.

Shiba Inu

The shiba inu was so friendly! I tried to take a photo with him and he tried to lick my cheek (i dodged it but that was so friendly of him!) If I own a house with a massive lawn someday I definitely will keep one, I really love how derpy and cute they are!

Now look at this kawaii poodle!

What a packed place the Takeshita Street is

The socks were so cheap like only 100JPY each I regret for not bulk buying so that I can resell them here 
Plus they come in a lot of designs and look so cute too

Maid Cafe anyone?
I didn't enter anyway but they looked really cute (and i could say eccentric) although apparently more people were focusing on shopping rather than visiting the Maid cafe here, unlike Akihabara which is a more strategic place for Maid cafe and their likes

Another Harajuku style that caught my attention.


I can't remember passing by just how many crepe shops along the districts and this is one of them.

Daiso and where they originated from

Saw a Purikura shop (this time not just a booth) down a small alley!

And not to mention there were countless of Japanese cosmetic shops stood around in the Takeshita street.

One of my top favourite brands from Tsubasa Masuwaka, Koji Dollywink!

A Takeshita entrance where I was supposed to enter from earlier, ahead (as you can see) where a billboards of Manga were placed is Harajuku Station.
Above all I was disappointed that I didn't take the photo of the Takeshita-dori entrance's gate, it's an iconic landmark and i missed it, solo exploration has its tendency of not being as fun as it was expected to be especially if you got lost....a lot.


SHIBUYA


As a mind blowing introduction to contemporary Tokyo, it's hard to beat Shibuya, birthplace of a million-and-one consumer crazes, and best visited at night when the neon signs of restaurants, bars and cinemas battle it out with five-storey TV screens around the Plaza on the west side of Shibuya Station, where you'll also find one of the most pedestrian crossings (Shibuya Crossing) in the world outside London's Abbey Road. Its stock only rose further following its depiction in the film Lost in Translation. A perch from which to view the crowds of people swarming across is the bridge corridor linking to JR station with Shibuya Mark City complex. 

This space has been put to excellent use as the gallery for Okamoto Taro's fourteen-panel painting Myth of Tomorrow (Asu no Shinwa), a 30m long mural depicting the moment the atomic bomb exploded in Hiroshima. Originally created in 1969 for a luxury hotel in Mexico, then lost for decades, this powerful work seldom seems to stop the rushing commuters in their tracks.

A lil bit inspired by this elegant looking Chocolatier not too far away from that entrance of Takeshita.

Lost track of time with the day ended and the night starting to creep in with the coldness began seeping into the air. This time I learned from yesterday and had prepared a windbreaker in my bag and just take it out whenever I feel cold.

A cold night, walking around in Shibuya to go to the famous Shibuya Crossing.

Shibuya at night

Finally, the legendary Shibuya Crossing! Everyone’s trying to get crammed into the middle of the crossing for photos once the pedestrian light turned green.

East of Shibuya Station you'll spy the tall Shibuya Hikarie building, while immediately west of the crossing, the 109 Building stands at the apex of Bunkamura-dori and Dogenzaka  (道玄坂). The latter leading up to Dogenzaka, one of Tokyo's most famous love hotel districts. This area is named after Owada Dogen, a thirteenth century highwayman who robbed travelers on their way through the then isolated valley. Running parallel to the north of Bunkamura-dori is the pedestrianized Center Gai (センター街), always packed with trend obsessed Tokyoites gathering to create or spot the latest look.

I have wasted quite some time by finding ways and being lost, so I had to skip for a Hachiko (a bronze statue outside Shibuya Station marks the waiting spot of Hachiko (1923-35), an Akita dog who would greet his master everyday as he returned from work - a practice that continued for almost a decade even after the Professor's death). Time to come back again for the things that I missed coz really, I missed a lot of good things since I was always running along with time, getting lost here and there and exhausting myself from asking some locals to get around. I did use Google Maps, but sometimes it didn't help much when you really really don't know the point where you're standing at and going to since everything looks very unfamiliar to you I tell you. It is still best to have native Japanese friends to help you in getting around.


AKABANEBOSHI : TOKYO TOWER


You definitely can't missed Tokyo Tower, a distinctive red and white structure rising high above the Roppongi area. Built during an era when Japan was becoming famous for producing cheap copies of foreign goods, this 333m high replica of the Eiffel Tower, opened in 1958, manages to top its Parisian role model by several metres. At the tower's base a plethora of the usual souvenir shops, restaurants and other minor attractions, most incurring additional fees and none really worth seeing in their own right, have been added over the years. There are good views of Tokyo Bay from the uppermost observation deck but at 250m, it's no longer the city's highest viewpoint.

Around 9.30 PM, most shops in the vicinity were already closed  and my phone died right after I took this photo no kidding
A breathtaking view anyway, worth my phone dying on me

To be frank, I went to Shinjuku first before heading to Akabaneboshi for Tokyo Tower but I got lost somewhere in Shinjuku before I got back to the right way (Here i'm farming my endless 'getting lost' stories in my stomach ready to be churned out if you ever asked me). Being all alone, thing I was afraid the most was the inability to catch up with the last train and got stranded in the city (plus it was cold!). I didn't explore much in Shinjuku and did not even take a single photo of the place. When I was still in Shibuya there was a group of kind highschool boys who helped me to get to Shinjuku coz earlier I misheard somewhere that Tokyo Tower is around Shinjuku (well that is actually a Shinjuku Park Tower, another different tower and is not where Tokyo Tower is located). Only after that I managed to get to Akabaneboshi after being assisted by young Japanese couple who could speak in English (I was saved thank to you!).

Day 3 well spent. Went home happy anyways coz it was a smooth journey from Takenotsuka station to home without getting lost somewhere in the dark and cold streets again.

The things I bought besides some clothings in Shibuya, Harajuku and Akihabara (yesterday).
Some damage done lol 

Feel free to click the links below to read for the other days too.

Tokyo Personal Diary | Day 1 : Arrival, Ueno Koen & Ameyokocho Local Market
Tokyo Personal Diary | Day 2 : Kanda Myojin & Yushima Seido In Akihabara & Night In Nishiarai
Tokyo Personal Diary | Day 4 : Exploring Asakusa, Senso-ji & Tokyo Skytree 
Tokyo Personal Diary | Day 5 : Sumida Koen And Malaysia, I Miss You


Talk to you guys again on my next post!


-Pinku-




2 comments:

  1. wow!! sis done your hair at Number76 in Japan seriously?? how wonderful!! I also wanna go Harajuku too!! <3

    Love,
    MissJasJas
    www.missjasjas.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you will go there someday too!
      Yup finally visited their origin lol

      Thank you for dropping by sis! <3

      Delete

Thanks for visiting, do drop me a line and come back because I do make an effort to reply back all of the comments =)

Powered by Blogger.
Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan
|

Your copyright

Pinkunosakura